The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Weekly polls of the Myeloma Beacon's readers on topics related to multiple myeloma. A new polls is posted every Wednesday.

How many months was it before you were able to return to work at least part time after your stem cell transplant?

Poll ended at Wed May 09, 2012 2:08 pm

Less than 1 month
9%
1 month
11%
2 months
15%
3 months
8%
4 months
3%
5 months
3%
6 months
6%
More than 6 months
10%
I did not return to work after my transplant
33%

Total votes : 87

Weekly Poll - Return To Work After Stem Cell Transplant - 2012

by Beacon Staff on Wed May 02, 2012 2:08 pm

This week's poll is about how long it takes to recover after a stem cell transplant enough to return to work at least part time.

A few clarifications:

First, this question is for any myeloma patient who worked up until having a stem cell transplant.

Second, if you have had multiple transplants, either in a row or at multiple different times, please answer based on your first stem cell transplant.

Third, please answer how long it took you to return to work based on the day of your transplant (as compared to the day you stopped working in preparation for your transplant or the day you were released from the hospital).

Fourth, if you are a caregiver or family member of a myeloma patient, feel free to answer on their behalf.

As always, feel free to post comments, thoughts, or feedback in the space below. They can be very useful to other readers.

In particular, if you started back to work part time and then resumed working full time later on, please describe that below.

Likewise, if you received multiple stem cell transplants, please describe how your recovery varied with each transplant.

Beacon Staff

Re: Weekly Poll - Return To Work After Stem Cell Transplant

by Judithjames on Mon May 07, 2012 7:33 am

I made many friends through being so ill, and out of most one stood out, I was ok like most people had somewhat problems returning to work, but after 2months after the sct I found I was getting depressed so returning to work brought normality to my life and being around others that hadn't been through chemo or sct actually helped bring me back to realise I can live normally again.
The being careful round others and food and animals obviously was all ok and by 4months I felt like my old self right back in the swing of things.
If my work hadn't pushed me to start back again I might have been in a down spiral of depression!
On the other hand my friend was a fit young 42yr old did marathons and triathlons and cycling walking right through chemo after and still does now. She was back in work 4weeks after sct amazing lady she said "the sooner you decide it's just an illness and doesn't define you then the stronger you'll be back out doing everyday work and life" so true inspiring lady.

Judithjames

by kelley on Mon May 07, 2012 1:39 pm

Keeps saying invalid. I voted I didn't go back to work. I ran an in home child care business. The long hours and lifting would not have been good. I have to say it took me many months to recover. I went into it believing I was different and would only need a short amount of time to get better.

kelley

by msangio983 on Mon May 07, 2012 2:51 pm

Prior to my first sct in October 2011 I developed back muscle spasms for about two months which affected my walking and had to use a walker and then a cane to be able to move around; therefore, I was unable to work. Three months after the transplant and after multiple myeloma tests it was suggested I went for a second sct or chemo treatment. I opted for the second sct and I am recuperating from it now. I still need the walker to take my walks around the block but using the cane for short distances. I will be starting physical therapy in a few weeks and look forward to regain my strength to resume my normal life and be able to return to the work force.

msangio983

by spencershell on Wed May 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Kelley I'm sorry you gave work up, Im due sct in 1 month Ive been told due tomy age im 55yrs old and not very active it will probably take upto 3months before I can return to work which I believe is the average.

Msangio that sounds terrible how old are you and why did your back spasm and how long since your 2nd sct?

My friend that I made in the chemo center has undergone sct treatment 2months ago she worked in the unit on her phone and laptop and kept working from home she is an accountant shes so strong Id like to think I could cope like her.

I suppose it is much difference with age and what your job is like if its physical or not. I have spoken to so many people before and after sct and find that most do return to work after 3-4 months otherwise being away from work would just make it harder to return I can imagine thats tough too and probably why people dont return to work.

I wish you all luck and the best health I am very upbeat about the whole thing you only live once so lets get this treatment on and let me get on with my life :) ;)

spencershell

Return to Weekly Polls