The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Weekly polls of the Myeloma Beacon's readers on topics related to multiple myeloma. A new polls is posted every Wednesday.

How old were you when you were diagnosed with active (not smoldering) multiple myeloma?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:59 am

29 years old or younger
3%
30 - 34 years old
4%
35 - 39 years old
4%
40 - 44 years old
8%
45 - 49 years old
17%
50 - 54 years old
17%
55 - 59 years old
22%
60 - 64 years old
11%
65 - 69 years old
8%
70 - 74 years old
4%
75 - 79 years old
1%
80 years old or older
No votes

Total votes : 115

Weekly Poll - Age At Diagnosis For Multiple Myeloma - 2011

by Beacon Staff on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:59 am

Yes, it's that time of the week again ... Time for another Myeloma Beacon "Weekly Poll."

This week's question is about the age at which Beacon readers with active multiple myeloma were first diagnosed with that disease.

A few clarifications:

First, this question is only for readers who have active multiple myeloma (that is, not smoldering myeloma, and not MGUS).

Second, if you are a caregiver or family member of someone who has active myeloma, feel free to answer on their behalf

Third, we are interested in how old you were at that point in time when you received the definitive diagnosis that you have active myeloma.

As always, feel free to post comments, thoughts, or feedback in the space below. They can be very useful to other readers (whether for information or just entertainment purposes).

Beacon Staff

Re: Weekly Poll - Age At Diagnosis For Active Multiple Myelo

by djkvegas on Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:37 am

I was 54 y 3 mo 18 days ( I would have put hours but I forgot what time I was born)

djkvegas
Name: David Keegan
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: September 3 2010
Age at diagnosis: 54

by Joanne on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:40 pm

I was 50 yrs and 8 months and I am doing great!

Joanne

by Stann on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 pm

I never know how to pinpoint my diagnosis.
I was told my protein count was high with one blood test (no big deal). So I did another blood test 2 weeks later which confirmed high protein. I was told to see hematologist/oncologist. (I knew something bad was going on then). Oncologist said it could be multiple myeloma but most likely MGUS. But my internet research indicated it was very likely multiple myeloma or amyloidosis. Bone marrow biopsy was performed and results came back as Multiple Myleoma (9-11-09). I refer to it as my own 911. Or should I refer to my diagnosis as between July 20th and Sept 11? Or do we use the exact minute that the doctor says "well, you have what we call multiple myeloma"?--I guess since that's the moment where you actually sit there and your mind screams "it's true...you have it!!", that that is the real date. But the lead up was pretty bad too.
I am so much happier now than I was when I was first told--that was a horrible couple of months.
Feeling great now and enjoying life.

Stann

by mlweeziclark@yahoo.com on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:26 pm

went in for my yearly check up showed i was anemic ended up at oncologist hematologist bingo IGA lambda multiple myeloma stage 111a. Hiked every morning only clue was notice couldn't keep the pace up as well and the real clue when I would go flying up and down stairs my heart would race. When the Dr. told me I was seriously ill it was surreal but got real, real fast went into complete response in four month just started treatment Nov 2111 Revlimid and Velcade and the energize bunny steroids numbers are trending down. My Dr also told me he believed in the power of prayer the whole clinic prays for any request and patients on there Tue lunch. I have a wonderful team of Dr. at a cancer center and take my treatment from the original oncologist I went to. It was a process to get where i am emotionally-from waiting to die to wanting to live. Now into solutions and focusing on others through notes to my grand-babies and all my children. It really brings whats important in life right to the forefront. I can say I have truly been blessed and appreciate, looking back, the the need to go through the grieving process-- there is lite at the end of this process bless you all on this journey. mary louise

mlweeziclark@yahoo.com

by Sherri Parker on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:23 pm

I was 49 when I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma.

Sherri Parker

by laetetia on Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm

My partner was 53 and 7 months.

laetetia
Who do you know with myeloma?: De facto
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2001
Age at diagnosis: 53

by Pamela Lussier on Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 am

I was 50 when diagnosed but I actually had been walking around with it full blown for at least 3 years so maybe i belong in the 45 -49 category.

Pamela Lussier
Name: Pamela Lussier
Who do you know with myeloma?: Pamela Lussier
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2007
Age at diagnosis: 50

by jennifrp on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:15 am

I'm surprised at the ages above. Granted, I assume a younger subgroup is probably on the internet more but doesn't it seem like people are getting this at a younger and younger age? Are they catching it sooner now or are younger people actually getting this? I was 31 and have since met 2 other women in my city that were diagnosed in their 30s.

jennifrp
Name: Jen
Who do you know with myeloma?: me
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2006
Age at diagnosis: 31

by TerryH on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:27 am

I, too, was surprised by the number of responses at the low end of the age spectrum. It doesn't quite seem to fit with what you usually hear about the age distribution of people with myeloma.

I suppose part of the explanation is what you mentioned -- that younger myeloma patients are more likely than older people to be visiting a specialized Internet site like this one.

But it does make you wonder if there is a shift down in the age distribution that's taking place. I think I read somewhere that this already has been recognized by researchers, and the question is how much of the shift is real, and how much of it might be due to better diagnosis methods and more awareness of the disease.

To be honest, I also was surprised how few responses there are at the upper end of the age spectrum. I expected the number of responses there to be limited, but not sooooooooo limited.

TerryH

Next

Return to Weekly Polls