The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about insurance, treatment costs, and patient assistance programs

Vietnam Veterans Diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma....

by Nanette on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:42 pm

Contact your local VA and "get in the system". They accept responsibility for multiple myeloma as being a side effect of AGENT ORANGE EXPOSURE.

We have a General Practitioner, as well as an Oncologist at the VA in Biloxi, MS. For being a "federal" program, the VA is wonderful! Their operation runs like a well oiled machine.

After receiving information from our Tulane Cancer Center in New Orleans, the VA declared Dom 100% Disabled. They send him a monthly disability check, as well as all of his medications! (Thalidomide ain't cheap, gang!) ;)

We have an appointment. with our GP every 6 months, and our Oncologist every 4 months. Tulane faxes our Oncologist test results and regular updates.

Thankfully, we have wonderful health insurance, and can afford treatment at Tulane. But, we're happy to be getting free meds and $$ from the VA. :)

Honestly, the VA has been WONDERFUL. Pursue this if applicable. (They also assume responsibility for some Vets who served in the Korean War.... I want to say that it's determined by WHERE you were stationed)

Nanette
Name: Nanette "Deaux"
Who do you know with myeloma?: My dear husband, Dominic
When were you/they diagnosed?: Spring of 2008
Age at diagnosis: 62

Re: Vietnam Veterans Diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma....

by rdtenuta on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:28 pm

I didn't realize Vietnam Vets were such a big hit with this cancer, My husband was diagnosed Feb.15,2010...He is on Velcade, Revlimid, Dex. and Zometa..I asked multiple times how he could have got this and no one gave me an answer. becvause i am an RN I have researched on my own...I will register him with the local VA. Any tips on doing that???

rdtenuta

by Nanette on Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi there.

Get him "in the system". They'll send him to one of their oncologists, who will probably put him on 100% disability. (Temporarily, anyway.... We're waiting for a review board to knock him down now that he's in remission).

Our county in MS has a "Veterans Service Officer" who did ALL of the paperwork for him. She was a doll. Check with your county.

Best of luck to you. Dom's "1st Birthday" is July 17th.... he looks and feels great. It was a rough couple of years, but the Stem Cell Transplant worked wonders.

Nanette

by Nanette on Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:21 pm

https://benefitsforum.org/Rep.aspx

http://www.vva.org/agent_orange.html (note the link at bottom of this page)

Hope these links are helpful to you. Again ... best of luck. Be tough ... both of you!

Nanette

by Nanette on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Nanette

by Daddysgirl on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:53 pm

As it is wonderful that the VA does take care of our vets for all they have done, my father died of mulitple myeloma and we put a claim in LONG before that. We called and called and called, even when he was in the hospital. Then after he passed they called and told us he had to come in for blood work....good luck with that. ONE YEAR AFTER his death we finally got the notification that he is disabled...again really??? Now my mother is getting his death benefits and we are still fighting to get reimbursed for the scripts and medical expenses he paid out. It's just so sad that people that gave their lives get so little respect and help when THEY need it most.

Daddysgirl

by jchannah on Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Would anyone know if the VA benefits are available to someone who was in the military during the Vietnam war but never actually served in Vietnam? I am retired military with 21 yrs.

jchannah

by Don Ahearn on Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi, I served in the USAF from 1960 t0 1964, never went to Vietnam .I have been diagnosed with
rheumatoid arthritis which is a white blood cell disease, I have been on methotrexate for a number of years which did bring the disease under some control. The V.A. suggested the use of
Embrel. I did for a very short time .only to be diagnosed with multiple myeloma. they stopped the Embrel and started the Chemo that was 16 months ago. I have responded very well to the Velcade and dexamethasone and now the Revlimid and dex are keeping my numbers in a reasonable place.
While in the USAF I handled Jet fuel which has of course BENZENE as a component as does
agent orange. However I was not in Nam therefore I don't believe that the V.A. will offer me any compensation that a Vietnam Vet would automatically get upon request Is there anyone out there with advice in respect to my situation

Don Ahearn

by Nanette on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 pm

Wondering if you guys have a patient advocate like we do. She has an office.... Her business card refers to her as "Veteran Service Counselor" for our County in Mississippi. She filed all of Dom's paperwork for him.

Dom had buddies in the Navy.... the aircraft that would land on their ships had Agent Orange on them.... he got disability.

Another friend who was airforce had jet fuel spray on him.... caused convulsions(?) so intense that he broke his back..... he got disability....

Maybe check with your County. If no luck, I'd move on to the VFW. I know those folks are out there.... good luck!

Nanette

by Anonymous on Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am

Nanette wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Get him "in the system". They'll send him to one of their
> oncologists, who will probably put him on 100% disability. (Temporarily,
> anyway.... We're waiting for a review board to knock him down now that he's
> in remission).
>
> Our county in MS has a "Veterans Service Officer" who did ALL of
> the paperwork for him. She was a doll. Check with your county.
>
> Best of luck to you. Dom's "1st Birthday" is July 17th.... he
> looks and feels great. It was a rough couple of years, but the Stem Cell
> Transplant worked wonders.

I have just been told I have multiple myeloma and just started chemo and will be going to Dana Faber in Boston for stem cell transplant. I am at stage 2. The VA did blood test and never caught it. Luckily I have TriCare. And my private physicians caught it. Have just notified the VA 2 months ago have heard nothing.Maybe someone should tell them cancer waits for no one.
Good luck to all my brothers

Anonymous

Next

Return to Insurance & Patient Assistance Programs