The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about multiple myeloma treatments, stem cell transplants, clinical trials, alternative medicines, supplements, and their benefits and side effects.

Velcade Cost

by Terry on Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 am

What is the cost of Velcade? I see that there's a whole thread in this forum focused on how much Revlimid costs, but what about Velcade's cost? Is it so much cheaper than Revlimid that it's not an issue?

I realize that figuring out the cost of Velcade (news articles, forum discussions) is more difficult than figuring out the cost of Revlimid because Velcade is injected and how much people get probably depends on their weight and all of that. I guess that Velcade's cost also may not matter as much to people because their insurance may not charge them as much for getting it as insurance companies charge people if they get Revlimid (news articles, forum discussions).

Terry

Re: Velcade Cost

by NSTEWART on Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:30 pm

Terry-
I would bet that the cost of Velcade isn't all that much different from the cost of Revlimid. But, the difference is that because it is an infusion it is covered by health insurance. Revlimid is a pill and is paid for, hopefully, by one's prescription plan. Everyone's prescription plan is different with varying levels of payment based on whether it is a generic, name brand on formulary, or name brand off formulary drug. Health insurance doesn't make those distinctions. If Velcade could be given in pill form, it probably would cost about the same as Revlimid.

My oncologist told me this week that there will be a clinical trial starting next year evaluating the efficacy of a pill form of Velcade.

Nancy

NSTEWART
Name: Nancy Stewart
Who do you know with myeloma?: self
When were you/they diagnosed?: 3/08
Age at diagnosis: 60

by ChuckH on Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I've been meaning to check into this for a while, but just didn't get a chance to do it until now.

Here's what I found.

I spoke to some people who (I think) know what they're talking about. What I'm told is that Medicare and other health insurers pay at least $1400 per vial of Velcade. Doctors usually can purchase each vial for a bit less than that, but then get at least the $1400 per vial from the patient's health insurer.

I personally have never taken Velcade, so I'm not really the person to translate this cost per vial into a cost per month. Can anyone else help with that? I'm sure I can find typical dosing information here at the Beacon or someplace else, but maybe someone else knows off the top of their head.

ChuckH

by Sarah on Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:57 pm

My husband is on Velcade (1.3 mg per meter square). The cost is $3,640.00. Medicare pays $1,375 and his Supplement pays 20% of that amount, or $275. The Cancer Center takes the Medicare assignment, meaning that we don't have to pay the remainder.

I'm thankful that it's via injections and not in pill form, or he would really be in the "donut hole"!!

Sarah

Sarah
Name: Sarah
Who do you know with myeloma?: Husband
When were you/they diagnosed?: October 7, 2010
Age at diagnosis: 72

by turbineman on Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:40 pm

:D I would like to make you aware that if affording Velcade is an issue for you, contact Millenium Drug Co and they will help you. They are the manufacturer and are committed that it is be available to everyone regardless of insurance and affording it.

turbineman
Name: Hugh
Who do you know with myeloma?: Myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: Jan 2006
Age at diagnosis: 61

by xstemboatr on Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:30 pm

My husband had his first chemo treatment today. We're still working on getting his Revlimid - it costs $5,000 for 14 pills ! We have a high deductible health insurance policy ... that's how I know. But, doing some research, I found that you can buy this medication from reputable Canadian pharmacies at a price of $1300/30 pills ! Wondering why no one talks about buying meds from Canada?

Has anyone pursued that prescription option?

xstemboatr

Return to Treatments & Side Effects