The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

The cost of Revlimid - what do you pay?

by kaygcromie on Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 am

I'm just curious if anyone has been on Revlimid and what the cost of the drug has been for you, or should I say for the Insurance Company.

I am starting Revlimid (news articles, forum discussions) tomorrow for the first time and I have to tell you I'm blown away by the cost of this drug, $10,000 for 28 pills. I was in a state of shock when I opened the envelope and saw the cost of it. I can't believe the drug companies can get away with charging these outrageous prices!!

kaygcromie
Name: Kay Cromie
Who do you know with myeloma?: myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: 11/03/03
Age at diagnosis: 49

Re: The cost of Revlimid - what do you pay?

by NSTEWART on Tue May 11, 2010 6:54 pm

I don't know what the cost of the Revlimid is for 28 days - I start that protocol as soon as I can get in touch with my prescription company to arrange delivery. I had heard that the 21 day supply was around $8000. I pay a $25 co-pay. When I looked at the explanation of benefits for all of the procedures that I have had in the last few months, I was shocked to see that the hospital charges over $6000 for the blood work that my oncologist orders. The insurance company only pays $800, but $6000 several times a month is outrageous!

I don't know how I would afford the treatment for this disease if I didn't have the insurance coverage that I have. I am very fortunate to work for a company that provides us with a very comprehensive health insurance and prescription plan.

Nancy

NSTEWART
Name: Nancy Stewart
Who do you know with myeloma?: self
When were you/they diagnosed?: 3/08
Age at diagnosis: 60

by thelmadavis on Wed May 12, 2010 9:08 am

I was on Revlimid from September 1, 2009 through May 1, 2010. The cost to the insurance company for twenty-one 25 mg pills is $9,200...$438 per pill. And thank heavens I have good insurance who covered the cost in full for 8 months, less my co-pay.

thelmadavis
When were you/they diagnosed?: 8/09
Age at diagnosis: 54

by triciasquilts on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:00 am

14 day supply of 25mg Revlimid for me is $5100. I pay a $20 copay. Its outrageous the cost of these.

triciasquilts
Name: Patricia Beckman
Who do you know with myeloma?: I have it
When were you/they diagnosed?: Aug 09
Age at diagnosis: 50

by Hannao on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:04 am

$8,500 for 21 day supply of 10 mg Rev.

Note: this is a 50+ year old drug with minor modifications. This is NOT a NEW drug they found and developed.

Additionally, for that price, you would think they would try to improve it so it isn't so toxic to the system.

The biggest fear we have to contend with is ... while it does save our lives, will it cause us to die of other causes?

I'm looking for that answer, but it's really hard to find.

Hannao
Name: houston
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me, myself & I
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 28, 2008 (guided biopsy)

by Mike on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 am

I'm not an expert on this, but you may be confusing thalidomide and Revlimid, HannaO. Revlimid is chemically similar to thalidomide, which was discovered and developed more than 50 years ago. But Revlimid is definitely a new drug, and it required a whole bunch of clinical trials to get it approved as a treatment for multiple myeloma.

Mike

by PaulG on Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:58 pm

It's a double edged sword, there's no doubt that very healthy profits are being made out of these products but healthy profits create great incentive to invest in further research and product development. In other words, while they're making good money, they're making good drugs and theres plenty of room for competition to enter.

PaulG
Name: Paul
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2008
Age at diagnosis: 29

by Gina on Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:33 pm

My insurance company is paying $11,400 for 28 10mg pills. My mouth dropped when I saw the cost. My physician plans to increase me to 15mg, then progress to 25mg. Can't wait to see the cost of that!

Gina
Name: Gina
When were you/they diagnosed?: November, 2009
Age at diagnosis: 42

by Hannao on Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:08 am

I think I need clarification and the costs of developing this drug, and who actually pays for it.

For example - there are millions of dollars raised for what I understood was "cancer research".

So, who gets this money and would that not defray the cost of upgrading something like thalomid to Revlimid?

Hannao
Name: houston
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me, myself & I
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 28, 2008 (guided biopsy)

by meme on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Am about to start Revlimid to maintain my remission after Velcade/dexamethasone and then bone marrow transplant. Costs can $8500/21 pills. The government insurance system pays for it. Am feeling apprehensive. Was diagnosed in Nov 2009, had a large plasmacytoma on my pelvis as well. Had pulmonary emboli at Easter, am still on heparin injections because of imminent Revlimid, but am kinda scared.

meme
Name: Meryl Hart
When were you/they diagnosed?: November 2009
Age at diagnosis: 58

Next

Return to Multiple Myeloma