The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about multiple myeloma treatments, stem cell transplants, clinical trials, alternative medicines, supplements, and their benefits and side effects.

Rising M protein

by Christina1952 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 pm

I was wondering what anyone's take on my situation.....I went off rev/dex in September , m-protein was .1 ,so close to non detectable then October it was .17, November .27 , now in December it jumped to .4
I'm not over reacting,like I usually do, but obviously I have a rising trend.
My question is, I don't see my onc till January. Should I call and see him sooner or just live with it for a month and i would expect it'll go up more. I would want to start back on rev/ dex then.
My other blood work looks good. Creatine was a little high for me at. 1.2, usually I'm 1 or less.
I've been a maybe a little more tired but nothing major.....
Any thoughts to help alleviate my anxiety???

It'd be nice just to go thru Christmas and then start in January. I would suspect , that's what my hem/ onc would say anyway, but I'm always nervous about bone involvement and well everything.
:lol:
Thanks for any input.

Christina1952

Re: Rising M protein

by Lys2012 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi are you in the US or Canada? Just trying to figure out the numbers. You M-spik seems pretty low to me. My dr. said she would not start me on treatment for anything under 1 (10 in Canada where I live) so I think you should be ok to wait until January. But my multiple myeloma is the kind that can get to a really high number, so might just be the reference# for me (I know it has to do with 90% reduction of the M spike from diagnosis) Sorry, hope I not confusing more then helping.. lol

Lys2012

Re: Rising M protein

by Christina1952 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Thanks, I'm in California, and it is low relatively speaking, but when I've been in CR with no m spike, it's hard to take the rising number. It's just part of the myeloma drama. But, I think I'm just an anxious person and tend to obsess about things. I tend to get bone involvement so, I get concerned even with low numbers. But I'm on zometa and hopefully that is taking care of that.

Christina1952

Return to Treatments & Side Effects