The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

Re: Question about Kappa light chain ratio

by Tommy T on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:43 pm

This preoccupation over over every little change in every little value is exactly why this site can do more harm than good. Despite an every increasing life-span, approaching a median of ten years for some low risk patients, many here choose to be completely defined by this disease.

There are probably 60 thousand people living with this diease in the US alone, and I bet this site is heavily misrepresented by those obsessing and freaking out over every test, every little ache, every liitle cold, every loose bowel movemen, the list never ends.

Get a grip people - as I am leaving this site of misery and obsession and fear. Reading the entries infuses me unecessarily with pessimism and dismay -- not optimism and hope. I can't live for a cure if I myself am dragged down by all the misinformed, under-educated hypochondriacs here. It also makes me - who feels well - feel like an outlier. But I don't think I am -- but I would never know otherwise reading the entries and blogs on this site.

Tommy T

by Cmolinaro on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Good leave and dont let the door hit your *ss on the way out! :twisted:

Cmolinaro

by coop223 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Tommy t, you could have just left and kept your arrogant remarks to yourself. I myself feel well but find this forum very helpful. Watch out for that door. Later :D

coop223
Name: derek cooper
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: November 2011
Age at diagnosis: 57

by Cmolinaro on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:04 pm

So I was able to get my hands on the last 9 months of lab data from my doctor and they are as follows. Remember, I have IGA kappa multiple myeloma. Serum Free Kappy was 7.62 then 13.44 then 22.25. Serum Free Lambda was 3.51 then 5.91 then 6.01. And Kappa/Lambda ratio is 2.17 then 2.27 then 3.7. I read earlier today that if both the lambda and kappa numbers are going up, it may mean my body is reacting to something other than the myeloma? I continue to have an m spike of 0.

Cmolinaro

by Ron Harvot on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:01 pm

Cmolinaro

Here is a link to a site that gives a box chart on various scenarios with respect to interpreting the FLC Assay that you might find helpful.

http://www.wikilite.com/wiki/index.php/Implementation_and_interpretation_of_free_light_chain_assays

I would not use this link as anythng but a rough guide.

Keep in mind we are all lay people and before I would jump to any conclusions I would consult with my oncologist.

Ron

Ron Harvot
Name: Ron Harvot
Who do you know with myeloma?: Myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: Feb 2009
Age at diagnosis: 56

by Cmolinaro on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:02 am

There's so many variables, I wouldnt even know where to start about what the possibilities can be. I did get a flu shot right before Christmas and a few weeks later is when I had my labs done, so maybe its that? I dont remember having a cold, so that rules that out. I do go to the gym 3-4x a week and lift a lot of weights, so maybe being sore from the gym has something to do with it? Or the fact that I began drinking protein shakes again, maybe throwing my kidneys into a loop? Way too many variables to wrap my head around at this time!

Cmolinaro

by SOFS on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi, My husband has been in a strong remission for almost two years with his Kappa light chains never going out of the "normal" range. Over the last two months though both his Kappa Light Chains and the ratio have spiked up. His doctor doesn't seem to think his disease is back yet and that the sudden change is attibuted to the affects of Zometa and anti viral medications on his already damaged kidneys. His creatinine and EGFR are also going up simultaneously. He had to have plasmapheresis in the beggining so his kidneys were initially very damaged by the cancer. I'm not sure I'm convinced yet that it's medication causing the problems and not a relapse but I'm not a doctor either.

SOFS

by terryl1 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:32 pm

Hi SOFS, I have light chain only myeloma---no traditional M-Spike----and my disease is tracked primarily by the FLC assays. When I have ups and downs in my kappa FLC's, my doctor has told me it is not necessarily attributable to myeloma tumor burden. Others things can affect light chains---colds, sinusitis, etc. Also, mine spiked up during SC collection when I had Neupogen shots. She said this was common and was related to the general immune system and not something to be worried about.

terryl1
Name: Terry
Who do you know with myeloma?: self
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 10, 2011
Age at diagnosis: 49

by SOFS on Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks Terryl1. It makes me feel better knowing it is possible he's not relapsing!

SOFS

by Cmolinaro on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:41 am

Alright, so I'm back with new results taken last week and once again, I ask for your interpretations if at all possible. I am IGA Kappa for your info:

IGG-695
IGA-302
IGM-50

Free Kappa LT Chains- 28.43 Normal Range 3.30-19.40
Free Lambda LT Chains-6.41 Normal Range 5.71-26.30
Kappa/Lambda Ratio-4.44 Normal Range 0.26-1.65

Cmolinaro

PreviousNext

Return to Multiple Myeloma