The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

Please Help- Question re. SPEP and Serum Immunofix results

by Philippians413 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 am

I am hoping someone can clarify what this means. I am new to this multiple myeloma forum, just joined today. At this point, we are in the testing phase for multiple myeloma. The test results are confusing me.

My huband was recently diagnosed with an M Spike on Serum Protein Electrophoresis test. The result shows 0.1 High. Same blood sample shows a test called Serum Immunofixation, result shows "No monoclonal band observed". Does that mean that the SPEP test is a false positive? I don't understand these results.
Could he still be MGUS or multiple myeloma if the immunofixation test says "no monoclonal bands observed"?? So far he has had a cbc, cmp, spep, immuno panel, beta 2 glob test,
serum kappa and lambda light chain test, c-reative protein test, and immunofixation test (serum), the results are listed below. He has also had a skeletal bone survey (yesterday) no results yet, and he had a BJ 24 hour urine test (results not back yet)
Immunoglobulin panel results show:
IGG 741 normal range 716-1594
IGM 111 normal range 46-208
IGA 82 normal range 71-377
C-Reactive protein: 0.07 normal range 0.00-4.90
Protein total: 6.0 normal range 5.9-8.4
albumin total: 57.0 normal range 48.1-59-5
alpha 1 globulin: 3.7 normal range 2.3-4.9
alpha 2 globulin: 8.8 normal range 6.9-13.0
beta globulin: 14.3 normal range 13.8-19.7
gamma globulin: 16.2 normal range 10.1-21.9
a/g ratio: 1.3
Beta 2 Microglobulin serum (B2M) 2.540 normal range 0.002-2.700
serum kappa light chains: 15.18 nornal range 3.30-19.40
serum lambda light chains: 14.20 normal range 5.71-26.30

Philippians413
Name: Philippians413
Who do you know with myeloma?: Spouse
When were you/they diagnosed?: January 2013
Age at diagnosis: 49

Re: Please Help- Question re. SPEP and Serum Immunofix resul

by terryl1 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:05 pm

I believe the serum IFE is more sensitive than the SPEP, so that would be good news for you. Everything else appears to be normal.

terryl1
Name: Terry
Who do you know with myeloma?: self
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 10, 2011

Re: Please Help- Question re. SPEP and Serum Immunofix resul

by Philippians413 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Thank you for the quick response! I am still concerned about that M-Spike. It must be showing up on the SPEP test for some reason, right? He also is showing as anemic.
Normal white cell count range, but high MONO #, and High MONO%, red blood count is Low, HGB - low, HCT low, MCV low, ALK PHOS low. He has been taking Doxycycline for 4 weeks now, and the blood test was taken in week 3. From what I've read, Doxycycline can cause Low Red blood counts. I am praying that the low RBC is from that med and not an MGUS or multiple myeloma problem.

His other symptoms which brought him the Dr. in the first place was carpel tunnel syndrome, possible peripheral neuropathy, real bad fatigue daily, muscle weakness too.

His thryoid numbers are off too, so he is seeing an Endo spec. at the end of the month to see what is causing his low T4 numbers, normal TSH, normal T3. I am hoping that the muscle weakness and the Carpel Tunnel is from the thryoid numbers being low. I have read that multiple myeloma can cause some of these symptoms too which worry's me (us).

Philippians413
Name: Philippians413
Who do you know with myeloma?: Spouse
When were you/they diagnosed?: January 2013

Return to Multiple Myeloma