The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about multiple myeloma treatments, stem cell transplants, clinical trials, alternative medicines, supplements, and their benefits and side effects.

Leg swelling & blood clots

by Chip on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:19 pm

My left leg is swollen up like a water balloon. Saw my doc (pcp) and he ordered an ultrasound and CT which showed clots in the legs. So now I'm home in bed with my leg propped up.

I've been taking warfrin for a previous DVT in the groin and my INRs were therapeutic two weeks ago. I'm taking Revlimid, Decadron [dexamethasone] and Velcade. I'm in-between cycles this week. I start my fourth and last cycle of induction chemo Monday.

Any advice?

Chip
Name: Chip
When were you/they diagnosed?: 20 November 2010
Age at diagnosis: 58

Re: Leg swelling & blood clots

by Erica on Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:39 pm

My dad was on Revlimid and Decadron, and he also developed DVTs in his legs from the Revlimid. His legs weren't actually swollen, but then we found out that he had DVTs when we took him to the emergency room for a fever. His doctors prescribed an injection called Fragmin, which he had to receive everyday. It's quite expensive, and it's not fun to get poked everyday, but it worked quite well for him. He only needed to receive it while he was on Revlimid.

Erica

by Chip on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks Erica.

My doc gave me a choice of staying the course on the warfarin and keeping my leg elevated or taking shots. So I'm going to stay the course for a while and see if the warfarin will do the trick.

Chip
Name: Chip
When were you/they diagnosed?: 20 November 2010
Age at diagnosis: 58

by meeshymeesh on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:38 am

Were either of you on Aredia or Zometa ??

meeshymeesh
Name: Michelle
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2009
Age at diagnosis: 40

by Sean Murray on Fri May 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Chip:

Sorry you are going through this. I had DVTs / blood clots that appeared after my first autologous stem cell transplant at UAMS.

Like you, my left leg became swollen and quite painful. The clots went to my lungs resulting in a pulmonary embolism (PE) - potentially very dangerous. I was on thalidomide at the the time and began daily Lovenox shots after the PEs. As I moved into the maintenance phase of my multiple myeloma treatment, I gladly traded Lovenox shots for Coumadin pills and Revlimid for thalidomide.

At the time of the PEs, I spent three days in the hospital, where a surgeon implanted a Cordis TrapEase permanent filter into my inferior vena cava (the large vein that carries de-oxygenated blood from the lower half of the body into the right atrium of the heart) to stop blood clots from traveling to the heart and lungs. Not a big procedure. Light sedation, placement through the groin, less pain than a bone biopsy! This may or may not be an option for you.

I have very carefully watched for any swelling in my legs, keep my legs raised when resting or sitting, and watch for any breathing abnormalities.

All my best! Sean

Sean Murray

Re: Leg Swelling & Blood Clots

by coopershawk on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28 pm

For those who have developed blood clots, how long did it take for your symptoms to subside?

I was just diagnosed with a clot in my left leg and it is swollen. It was recommended that I inject dalteparin [Fragmin] daily for 3-6 months! Does it really take that long?!

coopershawk
Who do you know with myeloma?: No one else.
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 2010
Age at diagnosis: 64

by cindylouise on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Sounds like all are receiving good treatment. And I'm sure everyone has been warned about going to the ER for any sudden shortness of breath! My husbands cardiac arrest was caused by a PE. That was over 2 years before his Myeloma diagnosis. But shortness of breath, especially sudden, is major cause for concern.

cindylouise

by coopershawk on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Good advice cindylouise! Thank you!

coopershawk
Who do you know with myeloma?: No one else.
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 2010
Age at diagnosis: 64

Return to Treatments & Side Effects