The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

kappa free light chain results

by coop223 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:07 pm

I got back from my oncologist wednesday and she gave me some lamba and kappa info. I have no idea of what it means. can some one give me a clue about these results?
Ref Range

Kappa, Free Light Chain 54.01 H (3.30-19.40)
Lambda, Free Light Chain 11.46 normal range (5.71-26.30)
Kappa/Lambda Ration 4.71 H (.26-1.65)

coop223
Name: derek cooper
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: November 2011
Age at diagnosis: 57

Re: kappa free light chain results

by Jennifer123 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm

I am looking for similar answers to my dad's lab results.

Here is a website that offers some information:
http://myeloma.org/pdfs/U-Freelite-Eng2011_g2web.pdf

It is still very hard to understand it all, though.

Jennifer123

by Betsy on Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 am

Hi Jennifer

Sounds like your dad has IGG kappa multiple myeloma, which my Husband also has. Free light chains measure tumor activity - the higher the ratio the more active the myeloma is. Velcade worked great for my hubby and I hope it will for your dad too!

Take care

Betsy

Betsy

by Rosa on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:30 pm

I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma on Feb 2008. I had stem cells transplants and I'm currently taking Revlimid 10mg daily for 3 weeks. I used to take it every day but my blood levels were very low so now I let my body recover for one week. I have had a cold/flu for the past 3 weeks and I stopped the Revlimid. Today the result of my kappa free light chain is 3.48 which is high. My oncologist told me that we need to resume the Revlimid as soon as I feel better.

Rosa

by Ron Harvot on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:27 pm

Coop,

The numbers would indicate that your IGG Kappa is high and that has led to a higher than normal kappa/lamda ratio. Although the IGG Kappa is high it is not nearly as high as many people (including myself) had when we were initially diagnosed. Thus this is a strong indicator of the "poteintial" of IGG Kappa multiple myeloma. However, other tests such as the SEP, a bone scan and bone marrow biopsy are needed to confirm multiple myeloma. It may be just Smoldering Myeloma or even MGUS.

Ron

Ron Harvot
Name: Ron Harvot
Who do you know with myeloma?: Myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: Feb 2009
Age at diagnosis: 56

by coop223 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:09 pm

I've been through a stem cell transplant with my cells last march. Am now on 10mg Revlimid maintenance since Sept. How do these readings compare with others who are at a similar type of treatment and time.

coop223

by Ron Harvot on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:14 pm

I would suggest that you need to see a trend. The fact that you had an SCT and have a high Light chain IGG Kappa reading implies that the SCT was not completely successful. The question I would have for your Dr. is whether the trend is up or down. You posted a single test. If the trend shows that the IGG Kappa is increasing then he probably needs to adjust or change your treatment. If the trend is down and the IGG Kappa readings are falling then, stay the course.

I did not go through an SCT but had VRD for nearly a year at "induction" levels. I was able to achieve a CR and am now on maintance level of VD. My IGG Kappa and the light chain ratio have stayed within the normal limits. I have been in this "remissive" state for over 3 years. I have light chain multiple myeloma and the primary test to see how I am doing is the Light Chain Assay. If my levels went up to those that you are showing it would imply a relaplse. But that is because such a reading would be a significant upward movement in my readings. That is why you need to understand your trend line.

Ron

Ron Harvot
Name: Ron Harvot
Who do you know with myeloma?: Myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: Feb 2009
Age at diagnosis: 56

by Nancy Shamanna on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi Coop, If you have had one test that shows a change in your kappa levels, probably it would be repeated before your doctor would indicate a definite trend towards 'relapse' (hopefully not). You should probably compare the results with your own regular lab tests. If you don't have a copy of them, you could ask your doctor to show you how your labs are trending, up or down!
My doctor has commented that he would repeat a test before coming to any conclusions, since sometimes an aberrant test result is just that, and for some unknown reason will revert to normal.
The nice thing about the serum free light chain tests (FLC) is that they show trends in your blood before it would be seen as an 'M' spike on an SPEP test. It is a sort of early warning system, I think.

Nancy Shamanna
Name: Nancy Shamanna
Who do you know with myeloma?: Self and others too
When were you/they diagnosed?: July 2009

by coop223 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Just checked out my original kappa/lambs ratio when I was first diognosed. It was 674.7. Guess my current ratio of 11 isn't so bad. I'll know my next blood results after seeing my dr. Next week. :D

coop223

by coop223 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Oops. Current ratio is 4. Something

coop223