The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

Is my multiple myeloma gone?

by Fd85114 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi, I’m new to this forum. I was diagnosed in 2010, had chemo and transplant (7/2010). Have had no multiple myeloma cells detected in biopsies or tests since then.

Does that mean I do not have multiple myeloma now?

Feedback or thoughts appreciated.

Fd85114
Name: Fd85114
Who do you know with myeloma?: Self
When were you/they diagnosed?: Jan 2010
Age at diagnosis: 40

Re: Is my multiple myeloma gone?

by coop223 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:58 pm

I have the same question. I was diagnosed I Nov 2011 , went to USC
And got an oncologist who specializes in multiple myloma. Started 3 months of Velcade, Revlimid and dex. Had an sct in march. Haven't had a bone marrow biopsy since the transplant. Once a month I have a complete labs blood check and all labs show everything is normal.

coop223
Name: derek cooper
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: November 2011
Age at diagnosis: 57

by Christina on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:42 am

No, it's not gone , just undetectable. The myeloma cells are just in remission. Perhaps one of the doctors will give the medical reason.
Enjoy your CR. Every day is precious!
Best to you,
Christina

Christina
Name: Christina
When were you/they diagnosed?: June2005
Age at diagnosis: 52

by Music meme on Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:47 am

Hi, I was diagnosis in 2002 with MGUS. Feb 2010 I was diagnosis with myeloma. Had an auto ScT in Nov 2010. I had not been on any meds at all . I have no bone lesions. I do have chromosome 13 depletion. Feb of 2012 , my M Spike rose to 1.1. I am now on rev, cytoxin and prednisone. My transplant physician is asking me to consider a mini allo transplant. Now I have major decisions again all of a sudden after no meds for almost a year and a half. I pray that your numbers hold but from I understand the myeloma cells always seem to come back. Each individual has to fight with the meds that give them the best response. I will keep you in my prayers.

Music meme
When were you/they diagnosed?: Feb 2010
Age at diagnosis: 53

by suzierose on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Fd85114 !!

Chris, is dead on in her post to you.

One of the most sensitive (lowest detectability) tests is the PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test. It is difficult to find spots that perform this test, but if you succeed in finding a spot to get it done, it gives the greatest depth of response in terms of minimal residual disease. (MRD)

While a biopsy and aspiration are good tests..you might also want to consider having immunofixation tests, as it too detects MRD at a lower level than the BM tests. BM tests are highly dependent on the site where they are done and since multiple myeloma cells are not distributed evenly in bone of pelvis, it means they can hit a 'hot' spot or a 'not so hot spot". Immunofixation is also easier to find a site to do that tests and is one of the test criteria now being used in clinical trials to determine what they call a molecular response and is more indicative of depth of response vs. BM. PCR is very laborious and expensive, but worth it.

Wishing you all the best.

suzierose
Name: suzierose
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2 sept 2011

by Fd85114 on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the comments and feedback!
Francis

Fd85114
Name: Fd85114
When were you/they diagnosed?: Jan 2010