The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

IgG Lambda myeloma

by Dennis on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 pm

Pardon me for my lack of understanding.
For 2 years I have run the multiple myeloma gauntlet with most of my attention given to getting well. Monthly meetings and zometa pass quickly and I just concentrate on the next month. My lesion on the sternum is okay but the site gives me some grief occasionally. Radiotherapy did the trick there.
I have received a report today saying I have IgG lambda myeloma.
Is this this the better of the varieties or is there some serious work on the way?
It also mentions I'm in biochemical remission...what does this mean in terms of outlook? No more troubles or okay for now?

Dennis

Re: IgG Lambda myeloma

by Lys2012 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi Dennis, first off I just wanted to say I'm not a doctor but I am also a multiple myeloma patient with IGG Lambda type multiple myeloma.

In terms of better / worse, I asked my dr who diagnosed me that once. I didn't even know what there were types of multiple myeloma at the time, since it was early on and she gave me a copy of the letter she had written about me referring me to a specialized multiple myeloma clinic. The letter said I was multiple myeloma of the IGG lamba type. She responded by saying there really wasn't a better / worse, but lambda is the rarer of the two. As you are probably aware, the IGG heavy chain is the most common type. She said the more telling results are from the genetic testing of the bone marrow biopsy at diagnosis. That 25% or so will not respond well to stem cell transplant. I did not have any of the negative genetics in my bone marow.

In terms of outcome, I think the lambda type less commonly affects the kideney then Kappa. I also had some bone involvement, and I had a rarer symptoms of hyperviscocity, which I believe is related the IGG lambda type.

Lys2012

by Multibilly on Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:54 pm

My oncologists have told me that the specific mix of the heavy chains and light chains is not really a prognostic tool (I am IgG Lambda). The primary thing regarding the importance of FLCs is the ratio and and not so much which heavy chain or free light chain is out of whack. But your cytogenetics and obviously the many other factors that are measured in your routine blood, urine, xray and bone marrow labs all factor in as far as your prognosis is concerned.

If you haven't read this article, I would suggest it.

http://myeloma.org/pdfs/U-Freelite-Eng2011_g2web.pdf

From what I understand, I don't think anybody can predict just how long one might stay in any state of remission when it comes to multiple myeloma (I don't know what the technical definition of biochemical remission is) . So, I would savor being in this state and take it as a gift.

Multibilly
Name: Multibilly
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: Nov, 2012

by Anna77 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:26 am

I was diagnosed with ImgA, plus t4:14 in June 2010. I was told that this is the more difficult to treat and is pretty aggressive. I had an SCT in July 2011. The situation is that it is now getting to the stage when I am looking at further treatment.

Otherwise, I am pretty fit and active - just 70. Neither Velcade nor Thalidomide were very successful - but there we go! ;)

Anna77

Return to Multiple Myeloma