The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

IgG and igA levels

by angiebaldy on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Does anyone know if an increase in igA from 838 to 883 and a decrease in igG from 575 to 544 in 1 months time is significant? I don't think it is but was just wondering.

I also went from a 0 CRP to 7.3 and from an ESR of 9 to 38.

Thanks

angiebaldy
Name: angiebaldy
Who do you know with myeloma?: Me
When were you/they diagnosed?: Sept 2012 MGUS Jan. 2014 SMM
Age at diagnosis: 47

Re: IgG and igA levels

by angiebaldy on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:43 pm

The i in igA and igG are supposed to be capitalized. Terrible at typing.

angiebaldy

by Dr. Adam Cohen on Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi Angiebaldy,
These changes would not be considered significant and fall within the normal variation that is expected with these tests. It's important to also remember that immunoglobulin levels can go up for reasons completely unrelated to myeloma (e.g. an infection or other form of inflammation). Thus we usually don't make much of 1 value rising, but always look at all of the myeloma blood and urine tests together, and make sure any changes are confirmed on subsequent testing before recommending any new interventions.
Dr. Adam Cohen
Abramson Cancer Center, University of Pennsylvania

Any advice provided in these postings is based on a very limited amount of information. There is no substitute for the care of your oncologist/hematologist. Therefore, all suggestions should be discussed with your treating physician. None of the comments presented here are meant to replace the evaluation of a patient by a knowledgeable physician.

Dr. Adam Cohen
Name: Adam D. Cohen, M.D.
Beacon Medical Advisor

by angiebaldy on Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:01 pm

Thank you Dr. Cohen. I thought so but wanted some reassurance.

Angie

angiebaldy

by Kevin J on Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:21 pm

angiebaldy,
I can attest to what Dr. Cohen says about the immunoglobulin levels fluctuating. I have been in CR for almost a year now, and twice my IgA levels have jumped up, then worked their way back down. Once was following a sinus infection last January, the other after a fairly good cold about two months ago. In both cases, it took about two to three months to get back to their previous level. This didn't prevent me from worrying about it though until I got that next lab result showing it was coming back down.

Kevin J
Name: Kevin J
When were you/they diagnosed?: Jan 2011
Age at diagnosis: 52

Return to Multiple Myeloma