The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about multiple myeloma treatments, stem cell transplants, clinical trials, alternative medicines, supplements, and their benefits and side effects.

Hair Loss

by tpt on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:00 am

Hello,

My Dad is on the process of stem cell harvesting. We are on day 14th since he had the cyclophosphamide for stem cell mobilization.

Yesterday, he lost a great amount of pubic hair, and now his hair begins to fall out. Does any of you experience this? He's quite depressed.

We started the collection yesterday, and he only managed to get 1.6 mio stem cells (67 mL). Today we managed to get about 3.5 mio stem cells (144 mL). Doc needs 6-8 mio stem cells--hopefully tomorrow would be the last day of collection.

Thanks.

tpt

Re: Hair Loss

by Dr. Jason Valent on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:47 am

Depending on the dose of cyclophosphamide used, hair loss would be possible. He will lose hair with the high dose chemotherapy as well.
Dr. Jason Valent
Cleveland Clinic

Any advice provided in these postings is based on a very limited amount of information. There is no substitute for the care of your oncologist/hematologist. Therefore, all suggestions should be discussed with your treating physician. None of the comments presented here are meant to replace the evaluation of a patient by a knowledgeable physician.

Dr. Jason Valent
Name: Jason Valent, M.D.
Beacon Medical Advisor

by Lys2012 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:35 am

You Dad is not alone! I had my havesting, with cyclophosphomide. Two weeks to the day later it was coming out in handfuls leaving little piles of hair. I called my husband at work and made him come home early and shave my head. Looking back I guess it started thinning a few days after the treatment but I didn't notice. We attended a baseball game and were sitting in front of freinds. someone took a picture and the back of my head is in it and you can see my scalp through my hair so it was obviously thinning before it came out, I just didn't notice until the big fall two weeks after.

2.5 years later my hair is finally grown back into a bob style! so happy to have normal hair again.

Lys2012

by Eric Hofacket on Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:19 am

I lost all my hair except my eyebrows, which are pretty thick. I thought I looked fine bald and I found I could dry off after showering in a fraction of the time it took before I had body hair. It took about three months for it to grow back and it initially came back thicker than before I had lost my hair.

Eric Hofacket
Name: Eric H
When were you/they diagnosed?: 01 April 2011
Age at diagnosis: 44

Return to Treatments & Side Effects