The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

General questions and discussion about multiple myeloma (i.e., symptoms, lab results, news, etc.) If unsure where to post, use this discussion area.

Final stage of multiple myeloma

by Sandissister on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:19 pm

I think I am in the final stage of losing my sister to multiple myeloma, She was diagnosed with it 21 years ago and has fought this disease every single day. She is in a wheelchair with multiple fractures and just broke her arm on Friday. She had been scheduled to have experimental treatments and was awaiting on insurance approval, that was 9 weeks ago and she has not had any treatment in those nine weeks. They have been giving her blood and because of her constant pain prescribed major pain meds. She sleeps most of the day due to the meds and it appears that she will be unable to have that experimental drugs.

I need to know what to expect in the coming weeks and if anything can be done to help her at this point. I have been so grateful for your support and your forums.

Sharon Mixer

Sandissister

Re: Final stage of multiple myeloma

by nadia33 on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:41 pm

Hi Sharon
I will pray for ur sister.

Best of luck
Nadia

nadia33

by Sandissister on Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Thank you Nadia, how are you affected by multiple myeloma?

Sandissister

by BuffaloPat on Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:53 am

It is remarkable to hear of someone 21 years past diagnosis. We do not hear about such stories much in the myeloma community. I have no new information to share, but I wish you well in your efforts to find some relief and help for your sister.
L I V E THE MYSTERY

BuffaloPat
Name: Pat
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2003
Age at diagnosis: 51

by Husker Fan on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:13 am

To Buffalo Pat:

I see you are about 8 years past diagnosis. Wonderful for you! Would you mind sharing a bit more of your story? Such as initial treatment, SCT, etc? And, if I may ask, do you have any of the chromosome deletions that are known to affect response to treatments? Thank you.

Husker Fan

by csmith102 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:58 pm

I am so sorry to hear about your sister ... I too being a 4 year survivor of myeloma would love to hear your sisters journey if you have the time and are up to it. Hang in there.

Carol Smith
Dayton, ohio

csmith102
Name: Carol Smith
Who do you know with myeloma?: myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: August 2007
Age at diagnosis: 46

by rx1997 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:04 pm

I am so sorry, I lost my father to multiple myeloma two years ago. I know this is a very difficult time for you and your family.

We found palliative care to be very helpful in the final stages of my fathers disease. A palliative care doctor was able to prescribe stronger painkillers and anti-anxiety (sedative?) medication that helped my father be more comfortable. He also received blood and platelets as when his blood counts got really low he would have trouble breathing. Controlling his pain from fractures he also had was our top priority.

I wish I could tell you something more helpful ... will be praying for you and your sister.

Tracie

rx1997

by SmileMK on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:48 am

Sharon,

Just 12 days ago I lost my sweet mom to multiple myeloma after a one-year struggle, and I am so sorry to hear about your sister's decline. Her 21-year survival is amazing.

It was so hard for me to quit the battle *for* my mom until nearly the end, because I (and she) kept looking for any reason to have hope, but the reasons became fewer and the myeloma was advancing despite treatment.

Please involve hospice as soon as you can (I wish I had sooner), as they are so compassionate and provide you with everything you could possibly need both medically and emotionally -- we had hospice for all of three days and they were wonderful.

My mom also started sleeping more and more, which was a blessing, though, since that was the only time she was really comfortable and not feeling bad or sad. Mom's decline her last week was rapid, primarily an extreme weakening, but fortunately she experienced no pain, although we had the drugs just in case, and her end was so very peaceful.

I pray your sister's next few weeks can also somehow be peaceful and that you will find the strength to make her every day as special as you possibly can. Be strong, as I'm sure you've been all along.

Take good care, MK

SmileMK
Who do you know with myeloma?: my mom
When were you/they diagnosed?: October 2010
Age at diagnosis: 76

by goznes on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:15 pm

IVe been in the last stage, stage 4 of multiple myeloma for almost ten years. The oncologist said that stage doesn't matter, just response to treatment. When response failed, I got weaker and weaker, lost my appetite, and caught pneumonia. The pneumonia was cured with antibiotics, and new treatments - thalidomide, Revlimid, and Velcade -- have been successful.

I read that the end stage of multiple myeloma can be more peaceful than that of some other diseases. It seems to me to be a kind of fading out of life. Preparing for life in heaven is what I do as I realize that the myeloma is not curable yet. Any physical loss is more bearable if a person develops a spiritual life.

goznes

by momaseeking on Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:57 pm

HI, So Sorry for your family having this multiple myeloma, as also does my mother, she has had this for quite sometime too they, say many years now and many fractures later, as her diagnose was just this past summer,she is 73 and very frail now and took to alliterative therapy, and with much hope for a quality of life, and maybe more years, but the worst is coming now she is very weak and lost a lot of weight, in a short time and is confused a lot. her passion is believing in God can do anything and he does have a plan,also she is a artist a oil painter, seeing her paint, was one of her joy's in life.
she is not on hospice yet. but her doctor's think it will be soon, as her blood count keeps falling and her breathing is labored, I feel for her she has so much more to live for.
I do understand that the body can not go on now and we have a hope of a better life once in God's Kingdom and she also believes that with her whole heart...many of you out there who are fighting with this disease please know a cure is soon to be here, For God will cure all those in his kingdom.
I pray for others out there to have comfort from God and comfort from there families during this very hard time...She is painting again, a stormy night....she is not done yet, with living her life to the very end.
never give up out there; find what makes you happy, we never know when this life will end.

momaseeking

Next

Return to Multiple Myeloma