The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about multiple myeloma treatments, stem cell transplants, clinical trials, alternative medicines, supplements, and their benefits and side effects.

Blood work after HSCT

by EmilyD on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:04 pm

My mom recently completed her first of two autologous stem cell transplants. So far, the doctors have not tested her blood to see what her M spike is doing. I know it can take a while to decrease, but I'm curious as to why it hasn't been tested yet.

So, my question is for those who have had a transplant before. How often were you having your M spike & FLCs tested post transplant?

Thanks!

EmilyD

Re: Blood work after HSCT

by Lys2012 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi, I am two years post transplant.

for the first year I had blood work every month, (electrolytes, CBC etc) and they would alternate M-spike, or free lights each month so that I was having each test every other month.

Now I go every two months, so I'm getting the M-spike every two months, and the freelights every few months.

Hope that helps!

For over three months post transplant my M-spike hovered about the level before transplant, and then at 6 months is was undetectable and has stayed there

Lys2012

Re: Blood work after HSCT

by Christa's Mom on Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi EmilyD,

My understanding is that for the first 100 days after a SCT the m-spike number can bounce around a bit, so typically a test is not done until sometime around day 100. Even then, it can still come down. It took 7 months before EJ's m-spike was undetectable. Hope that helps.

Lyn

Christa's Mom
Name: Christa's Mom
Who do you know with myeloma?: Husband
When were you/they diagnosed?: September, 2010
Age at diagnosis: 53

Return to Treatments & Side Effects