The Myeloma Beacon

Independent, up-to-date news and information for the multiple myeloma community.
Home page Deutsche Artikel Artículos Españoles

Forums

Discussion about multiple myeloma treatments, stem cell transplants, clinical trials, alternative medicines, supplements, and their benefits and side effects.

Alternative therapy / treatments for multiple myeloma

by LookingForAnswers on Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Has anybody considered alternative medicine/alternative therapy for treatment of myeloma?

Are there any dietary suggestions that anybody has that have helped them in the past?

LookingForAnswers

Re: Alternative medicine

by Dabs on Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I do acupuncture which helps with side-effects of treatment and help get rid of my peripheral neuropathy after my SCT in 6/04. It took a long time but went away. I am back in treatment with Velcade and looking to begin acupuncture treatments again. I recommend it for anything that is bothering you.

Dabs
Name: Dabs
Who do you know with myeloma?: Myself
When were you/they diagnosed?: 11/2003
Age at diagnosis: 41

by davidemerson on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:22 am

LookingForAnswers wrote:Has anybody considered alternative medicine/alternative therapy for treatment of myeloma?

Are there any dietary suggestions that anybody has that have helped them in the past?

After conventional chemo and local radiation failed, including a pbsct, I underwent 17 months of antineoplaston therapy. I went into complete remission by 4/99 where I remain today.

Currently I practice a variety of lifestyle therapies that I believe keep me in cr- nutrition, supplementation, exercise, hypertherapy (whole body)-

David Emerson

davidemerson
Name: David Emerson
Who do you know with myeloma?: David Emerson
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2/94
Age at diagnosis: 34

by Bernadette on Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:20 pm

Dear David,

My question, if you don't mind, is where does one start when trying to develop a plan for lifestyle therapies? I have seen your supplement protocol and lifestyle therapies posted, but did you do the research and create your own protocol or were you under the guidance of an integrative medicine doctor or team? Thank you.

Bernadette

by davidemerson on Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Bernadette-

In response to your question

"I have read your posts and information on b-m.org and on the Beacon. My question, if you don't mind, is where does one start when trying to develop a plan for lifestyle therapies? I have seen your supplement protocol and lifestyle therapies posted, but did you do the research and create your own protocol or were you under the guidance of an integrative medicine doctor or team? Thank you."

My approach was not organized. I don't recommend doing things the way I did. Today's mmer/caregivers are more knowledgeable than mmers who were diagnosed in the mid 90's. Once my onc told me that "nothing more can be done," I was running scared and tried anything I could find. Expensive and time consuming...

My advice-

1) read as much as you can. I find the Myeloma Beacon to be a great source of info.
2) keep an open mind- both conventional and non. Look for sources, footnotes like you would for any sort of legitimate information. An example would be supplements- my list overlaps with those recommended by Dana-Farber- the Jerome Lipper Ctr- Dr. Aggarwal at M.D. Anderson studies curcumin and multiple myeloma and has published a great deal.
3) Start with the basics- nutrition, moderate exercise, less stress/more sleep- eating better, more fruits and veggies, less sugar/fat, less red meat- these are straightforward, well researched health tips.
4) When it comes to the more specific multiple myeloma therapies like antineoplastons or natural supplementation with antiangiogenic properties like curcumin and resveritrol you will need to do more research- search phrases like "antineoplastons, myeloma" or curcumin, myeloma.

Ask questions in forums like this one.

Let me know if this helps.

David Emerson

William Li: Can we eat to starve cancer?
http://www.ted.com William Li presents a new way to think about cancer treatment: angiogenesis, targeting the blood vessels that feed a tumor. The crucial first (and best) step: Eating cancer-fighting foods that beat cancer at its own game.

davidemerson
Name: David Emerson
Who do you know with myeloma?: David Emerson
When were you/they diagnosed?: 2/94
Age at diagnosis: 34

Re: Alternative therapy / treatments for multiple myeloma

by carlinandjames on Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:12 am

Hi,
I"m a naturopathic doctor and my husband was diagnosed with advanced myeloma in April 2010. We're in the process of setting up a website specifically about our natural therapies and nutrition regime we're using alongside his medical treatment. Will post details when that site is up and running. Anyway, the following is what we're doing, not meant to be a guidance for anyone else or medical advice or anything like that, obviously. Just sharing information.

But, we're using the book "Fight cancer with your blood type" by D'Adamo as a rough reference guide, in terms of general food guidelines. Foodwise, it's all strictly organic foods, meats are organic and grass-fed, fish is wild-caught and not the heavy metal contaminated types of fish.

I should add that we've been doing this for 10 years and he still got myeloma, but we're convinced it's from working 10+ years in a pharmaceutical company's microbiology lab as a scientist with exposure to lots of toxic chemicals, but I digress.....

If you consider Traditional Chinese Medicine theory, blood cancers are more like a deficiency then an excess (like most other cancers are) so we actually found the cleansing vegan diet DID NOT work for James. In fact he almost died while on this diet when first diagnosed, and now is doing better with some grassfed organic meats in the mix. But, he's also bloodtype O and according the the bloodtype book type O does well with some good quality meats. Gerson therapy (the big juicers) even say Gerson therapy doesn't work for myeloma or blood cancers, or with bone marrow transplants.

Anyway, his white count is pretty good, in the middle part of the normal range currently, so we're doing organic veggie juices every day, and some smoothies with green and blueberries too. Lots of organic bone broths (bone marrow broths nourish bone marrow in the body), tons of veggies, lots of macrobiotic-inspired whole grains and seaweed type dishes, flax oil, homemade gluten-free breads and biscuits (gluten is very inflammatory and best avoided in those with compromised immunity and serious disease, in my opinion), and a lot of soups. When he eats meat, we cook it with lots of digestive spices for a long time in a slow cooker to make it more digestible. Also, when his mouth gets really metallic on his big chemo days, I make homemade ice cream from almond milk, sweetened with stevia, a natural sweetener.

Supplement wise, we're using digestive enzymes (improve digestion and some research indicating fight cancer), silymarin (help liver deal with crazy amount of medications), zinc (boost immunity), EPA/DHA (anti-inflammatory, and reduces catabolism from chemo), whey protein powder (fights catabolism, good source of protein), probiotics (help gut, and good for immunity), astragalus (boosting immunity and fight cancer), liver support multi-vitamin and mineral (more liver help), CoQ10 (boosts energy), B12 (especially important for blood cancers), a bone supplement (has calcium, D3, magnesium, boron,silica) and turmeric (fights cancer).

He is also on a big regime to fight the myeloma with dex, thalidomide, idarubicin, cyclophosphamide. He is doing VERY well with his treatment. His hematologist called the blood results miraculous, and not expected, not only from myeloma going down very rapidly, but all his good counts, like platelets, hemaglobin, white cell count, neutrophils, etc, are all in the middle of the normal range, which is not expected at this stage of chemo, and our doctor says he can really only attribute it to the natural therapies and great food we're giving him, which is supporting him and helping the regime works so well. He's also feeling quite well (aside from his back, but he had compression fractures before diagnosis due to the myeloma).

I'll add more if we change anything, or as we get more results. And, when we get our full website up and running I"ll post a link. If we can share what we've learned from others, and be of any help, we're both definitely happy to do so.

Good luck to all of you!

carlinandjames
Name: Carlin and James
Who do you know with myeloma?: James
When were you/they diagnosed?: April 2010
Age at diagnosis: 39

by Tony_ Hoocks on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:17 am

Hi friend.

I have found some good techniques to cure multiple myeloma .
Essiac Tea is the major component in the treatment of multiple myeloma.
Flaxseed oil and cottage cheese have some good effect for the treatment of multiple myeloma.
Raw food like beta carotene is also very useful.
If anyone has more points regarding multiple myeloma then can share with us.

Thanks

Tony_ Hoocks

by Trish on Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:47 pm

Tony-

To date there is no cure for myeloma, let alone the supplements you mentioned. Sure there are a out there that mention the use of these supplements for myeloma, but I can't find any studies that support their use.

Trish

by Beacon Staff on Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm

There's a teleconference call tomorrow evening on the topic of nutrition, lifestyle, supplements, and alternative medicines. It is being led by Loch Chandler, N.D., MSOM, L.Ac. from Providence Integrative Medicine Clinic, and slides from the presentation are available on the web.

Beacon Staff

by carmen on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi there. How is it / all going? Is your website up and running?

carlinandjames wrote:
> Hi,
> I"m a naturopathic doctor and my husband was diagnosed with advanced
> myeloma in April 2010. We're in the process of setting up a website
> specifically about our natural therapies and nutrition regime we're using
> alongside his medical treatment. Will post details when that site is up
> and running. Anyway, the following is what we're doing, not meant to be a
> guidance for anyone else or medical advice or anything like that,
> obviously. Just sharing information.
>
> ...

carmen